Friday, December 09, 2005

Zucchini Blossom Frittata


Is this zucchini frittata not something to tempt you? Perhaps, even to weep over it's loss or your lack of? Since, I and not you :P have tasted it, I will answer for you. Yes it bloody well is! When I was at my parents house to make biscuits, before I came home, I mangaed to steal (LOL) a bunch of male zucchini flowers and 2 female zucchini flowers. These beautiful flowers are delicious, but there taste is hard to desecribe, succlent and melting is proably the best desciptor I can think of. Whilst trying to imagine the best use of these beauties my thoughts flittered between: Zucchini flower fritters and stuffed steamed flowers, but I declared both of these options too fussy for my lunch. Instead I decided it would be a choice between a salad and a frittata, as soon as frittata escpaped into my concious thoughts I knew there was no better use, and I was right. This frittata is frightfully beautiful, extravagent yet incredibly simple. It makes a decadent lunch for one, a hors ordevour, an entree (starter for the americans) for a party... whatever you want. Pair her with a salad and some soudough bread and you have a dinner to be proud of.

To make this baby you need a tablesppon of butter, a bunch of zucchini flowers, preferably atleast a female or two (they have baby zucchinis attached),clove of garlic, a couple of eggs, a good lug of milk, a splash of cream, a few slices of fetta or chevre and some salt and pepper (herbs to garnish as well. Slice the flowers in half. Thinly sliver the baby zucchinis, thinly slice the garlic, beat the eggs, milk, cream and salt and pepper together, dice the fetta. Melt the butter and saute the zucchinis and garlic, when they are soften pour over the egg mix and lay the flowers and fetta on top. Turn the heat on to low and leave with a lid on for a few minutes, check every minute or so, she is ready when the top is just set. Plate up with a scattering of fresh herbs and enjoy every morsel. Serves 1 to 2 .

See, I told you she is easy to make.

Don't forget to get baking gear ready and make your stollen!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting! do the blossoms taste like the courgette? i dont like courgette so im quite curious :) 

Posted by Catesa

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous!  That really looks almost too pretty to eat. : ) 

Posted by farmgirl

Anonymous said...

Oh wow YUM! I love fritattas...have never in my life heard of zucchini blossoms. Something else that I'm going to have to search for at the local farmer's market. 

Posted by KT

Anonymous said...

That looks so yummy. I'm surfing food blogs looking for something good for lunch. Too bad I don't have the ingredients for this frittata because it looks so good. 

Posted by Michelle

Anonymous said...

That looks great. I love zucchini blossoms. The time for them here in Canada is long gone, but I will save this recipe for next year. 

Posted by Sara

Anonymous said...

oh my how I am salivating. I might as well learn to use my squash flowers since they seldom seem to make it to fruit! 

Posted by Laurie

Anonymous said...

Hi Clare - At first glance I thought it was a photo of a plate! Looks gorgeous. 

Posted by Kirk

Anonymous said...

have never tried zucchini blossoms, such lovely pastel colors for a frittata. Wonder if I can find them in Singapore? 

Posted by eatzycath

Anonymous said...

Hi Clare, I've never cooked with courgette blossoms before, but your recipe looks very tempting and inspiring, so I should probably give it a go! Not sure I'll see fresh enough courgette blossoms in Edinburgh any time soon though:( 

Posted by Pille

Anonymous said...

Hi Catesa
No they don't taste like courgettes at all. How big are the courgettes you have tried? The baby ones are MUCH nicer :)

Hi FG
That would be true if it didn't taste that good!!!

Hi KT
I hope you find some, you might have to wait til spring though.... I hope not!

Hi Michelle
Yep, that sure is a pity!

Hi Sara
I hope you remember about this when the season is back on in Canada

Hi Laurie
That is a great idea, I don't think you will lament the fact they don't fruit well anymore ;)
PLUS the male flowers are just asking for it ;)

Hi Kirk
That's because it is!!!

Hi EC
I hope so!
Do you have acess to a garden, or a balcony for a pot? Perhaps you could try growing them? Or begging them from a friend?

Hi Pille
Thankyou so much! That is really sweet of you :) Heopefully it wont be too long before they are back . 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

I usually avoid the blossoms because I can't think what to do with them. This looks so delicious, Clare. 

Posted by Nic

Anonymous said...

this looks simply wonderful! 

Posted by ann

Anonymous said...

Oooh. Zucchini blossoms. Piled high at the markets in Calabria. Memories to salivate over. And this is one of my favourite things to do with them. Also a great appetizer: dipped in a little batter and shh, fried. Delicate and delish.
I just plant them along a fence that gets good sun but a big pot works great and both varieties produce heaps of flowers.
A fantstic photo!  

Posted by Mary

Anonymous said...

Just a tip if you would like to make this yummy dish out of season...you can collect your flowers and freeze them whole for this recipe or sliver them to add to fritters. Just put them in a ziplock and use them from frozen so they do go mushy or discolour. 

Posted by Sherry

Post a Comment