Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Hung Cheung, Marrickville

Hung Cheung Restaurant

Opposite Marrickville Town Hall
338 Marrickville Road
Marrickville NSW 2204

There are days when you just don't feel like going to Chinatown, I know that they are few and far between in my case, but they do occasionally happen. So you need a back up, for what you might ask? Good Chinese food mmmmmm I am not talking about Aussiefied Chinese but something a little more authentic, how authentic I can't guarantee but it has to feel like it!

Well we have found a back up restaurant, they are a little more expensive than there Chinatown counterparts but t hey have a few advantages too. 1) There service is MUCH better, 2) The ease of parking is in a whole different league and 3) They give you cakes!

So where is this mystical, magical place I am talking about? Well it is called Hung Cheung and it is in Marrickville. So what was the food like? Well it was good, the sechuan pork (Casey's pick) was ok, but the Crispy chicken with chilli vinegar sauce was SUPERB! The chicken was so moist and succulent and the portion was huge! The only problem is that there was not enough chilli in the sauce ( I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE THINK BECAUSE I AM CAUCASION I WANT MY FOOD WITH NO CHILLI AND NOT AUTHENTIC!!!!!!!!!!) ok that's better, but all I had to do was look around and I had a very polite waiter and a bowl of chillis in front of me before I looked down. Didn't I mention the service was good? The special fried rice (casey ALWAYS wants fried rice) was really nice, not greasy, with nice pieces of bbq pork and prawns mmmmmm. So we some how managed to stop eating and ask for the leftovers to be packed up for lunch when we are bought a plate with not only the ubiquitous orange slice but mung bean cakes!!!! and a fresh pot of tea. This was THE PERFECT end to a yummy meal of chicken mmmmmmm.

I have to mention that this was ALOT of food and there was easily enough for leftovers the next day. If you have a group of people who like to share this place would be perfect and make sure to order the chicken ;)

*note* we have been here before and had great salt and pepper squid and steamed eggwhites with seafood. The steamed scallops for an entree (appetiser for the yanks) look great too!

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clare,

I knew I liked you! Yeah I get alittle disgruntled when they spice it down, but I'm glad the service was goos and the extra bowl of chili showed up. I'm glad you enjoyed your meal, the pictures certainly look good. :D 

Posted by Milgwimper

Anonymous said...

goos=good *sigh* I can't control my fingers. ;P :> 

Posted by Anonymous

Anonymous said...

Hi Milly
mmmm chilli mmmmm
have you made the sambal yet??

Hi anonymous
glad you like the look of the food! 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah!

Yeah indonesian are normally good and spicy, everywhere else, "oh no" that is too hot, "oh we make it less spicy for our western customers", " Do you know how to use chopsticks?"*with a very bemused look on there face*

AHHHHHHHHHHHH ENOUGH I tells ya!

sorry about that sarah, I know you wont mind ;) 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Hi!

I just came across your blog, and it's quite cool to know someone is reviewing Chinese food too, even if it is the other side of the world! I have just started up a food-related blog on blogspot, along with a friend of mine, maybe you'd like to check us out.

Keep it coming :D

Eleanor

 

Posted by Eleanor

Anonymous said...

Hi Eleanor
The food blogging community is the best!
It is so nice to find heaps of lovely people who feel the same as you do about food!

I am so glad you left a comment 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

The chicken and the fried rice looks good. I like little bits of egg that I can see in the fried rice and the chicken skin looks so crispy.

You know whenever I am in Australia, I love to eat the Chinese food there as the produce is so fresh that everything they cook tastes great. 

Posted by boo_licious

Anonymous said...

LOL...your comment about liking spicy food despite being Caucasian reminds me of eating with my Korean mother-in-law. When we go to the Korean restaurant she always has this looooong conversation with the servers that I can't understand and then tells us, "You wouldn't be able to get your food like this if I weren't here." 

Posted by Amy

Anonymous said...

Hi Boo
the chicken was sooooo good mmmmm and so was the fried rice, it definately could have been it's own meal.

Hi Amy
There is nothing better than going with someone who knows how to order the food! I have no idea what to order at a korean restaurant :(

Anyway, they could at least ask me :( 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Hi Clare - Leftovers are such a great thing, isn't it? And there are even some dishes that actually taste better the next day! 

Posted by Kirk

Anonymous said...

Hi Kirk
Not to bad at all, Casey was very happy :) 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Hung Cheung is great, altho I think the food has gone a little downhill since the change in ownership earlier this year.

You've reminded me I still have HC photos I need to edit and upload! We usually get the crispy skin chicken, and the mud crab with ginger and shallots and double e-fu noodles! 

Posted by AugustusGloop

Anonymous said...

Hi AG

Ooh the mud crab sounds so good!
But you didn't get little cakes before ;) 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

that looks good must go there next time 

Posted by dave

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave
we have lots of places to take you ;) 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Yum, yum, yum! Now I want heaps and heaps of Chinese food! Haven't had any in years! : ( 

Posted by farmgirl

Anonymous said...

Chinese food can be sooo good! might be hard to get where you are though??? 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Nah we used to get little pastries before. You just gotta have the right connections =) Or buy enough crab 

Posted by AugustusGloop

Anonymous said...

Hmm
I bet your right! maybe it was because they saw I had a camera? *grin*

But the ladies sitting next to us got them and they were weirded out.... shame shame shame 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

heya,

food pics look good (: the chicken looks like shan tung style?

am wondering how high is your and Casey's tolerance towards chilli?? :-D

 

Posted by Tian

Anonymous said...

Hi Tian
Yep Shan tung! and it was pretty good!

Um I don't know.... I do like alot of chilli and when we have indonesian I will have at least double the amount of sambal terasi they give us, plus hot and sour soup and hot salad. hows that? 

Posted by clare eats

tytty said...

that's great .. where did you get your chilli training from?

i used to have a bowl of spicy sour soup noodles daily through out my high school years and my tongue kinda got immune to chilli. so sometimes whenever someone complains something is too spicy, i'll be [?] .. *smile*

Anonymous said...

LOL
me too... I know there are plenty of people with higher tolerances... but I do like a bit of heat! I think chilli is addictive, and my mum used to make us curry's and feed us chilli as a kid. 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

hi clare its me!!! I don't think shan tung chicken is meant to be spicy its more tangy :) 

Posted by Rachel

Post a Comment